This post is sponsored by Home Depot, however, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make this blog possible.
Summer snuck up on us this year, and all of a sudden, it’s prime patio weather. We love to enjoy a quiet latte (or a boisterous breakfast), soak up the midday sun, and even snuggle up with a good book and a blanket on cooler evenings.
Don’t worry if your outdoor space is on the smaller side, like ours is. Here are some tips for transforming a deck or patio into your favorite summer room – my only regret is that I didn’t do this earlier in the season!
1. Define the space with an outdoor area rug. The right size and style can make the space feel more like an extension of your favorite indoor spots. We brought our patio to life with this diamond-patterned neutral that complements both the furniture and flooring. We love the effortless look and durable, low-maintenance material. Super-easy, super-inviting.
2. Choose the right furniture. Patio sets come in a wide range of shapes, sizes, and configurations. It’s important to measure your space and think about how you’ll use it before selecting a set. We love the five-piece Hampton Bay Layton Pointe Seating Set – the two chairs have ottomans you can tuck right underneath to maximize space, along with a perfectly sized accent table. The entire set (including plush but sturdy cushions) is fade, weather, and rust-resistant, so it’ll hold up for years. My husband and oldest son assembled it in 20 minutes flat, and our youngest had fun making sure everything was stable. The quality and style are definitely worth the price!
3. Embrace multiple textures. I love the sea and sky, so I was going for an elegant vibe with just a hint of the beach, and the Hampton Bay set fit the bill perfectly. The Olefin Blue cushions are a stunning shade – a perfect almost-neutral backdrop for outdoor R&R. And because all of the patterns have similar proportions (the gingham pillows work perfectly with the diamonds in the area rug) the space feels rich rather than busy.
4. Surround the space with plants. Whether you choose piles of bright petals or simpler greenery like we did, plants create a lush, vibrant feel. They even sound wonderful – there’s something so relaxing about the rustle of leaves as the breeze picks up. If you decide to use flowers for accent color, choose shades that are opposite the rest of your palette on the color wheel. I’m might just add a small cluster of potted daylilies, especially since the red-orange reminds me of the sun setting over the ocean.
5. Add personalized touches. While l adore the oversized lanterns filled with flameless LED candles, my favorite accessories are the framed family photos! Not only does it make the space feel like an outdoor living room – it reflects just how much joy our family experiences when we’re together. And there’s nothing more relaxing than that.
I acknowledge that The Home Depot is partnering with me to participate in the promotional program described above (the “Program”). As a part of the Program, I am receiving compensation in the form of products and services, for the purpose of promoting The Home Depot. All expressed opinions and experiences are my own words. My post complies with the Word Of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics Code and applicable Federal Trade Commission guidelines.