Ugh. That sums it up, doesn’t it? Just… ugh. And when you’ve got a houseful of kiddos, a bug goes around and suddenly everyone’s sharing nicely.
I’m really trying to avoid punching my frequent flyer card at the pediatrician (and my own doc!) this year, so here are some of the things we’re doing to stay healthy:
1. Juicing. Gorgeous pink grapefruit, luscious oranges… so, I found this fantastic citrus juicer for less than $20. Hands down, best we’ve ever owned. It’s easy to use and safe for the boys to manage on their own. Bonus: a few extra minutes of rest for me, and the boys get to practice being more independent. And I don’t have to worry about juice on the ceiling.
2. Oils. Essential oils are having a snarky moment in memeland, but there’s a reason everyone loves them! I have diffusers in our bedrooms and kitchen, and roll-ons for the whole fam. A few favorites: lavender (so relaxing), eucalyptus and peppermint for instant energy, and frankincense, orange, and clove for feel-good winter vibes.
3. Veggies! Here’s my theory: what my kids don’t know won’t hurt them, and I think it’s time to promote myself to Executive Stealth Blender. From breakfast smoothies made in aforementioned juicer to homemade pizza for dinner, we’re getting germ-fighting power in every meal. Garlic, onions, and pineapple juice are favorite secret weapons this season. Fruit smoothies loaded with spinach, pureed veggies hidden in muffins, and garlic and onions in almost all dinners (soups, roasts, and stir fries are easy faves).
4. Washing up. Hand washing is a must, and you’d better believe I’m making sure they use soap (and lotion, because hot water dries out their skin… and mine). Plus, I’m always disinfecting – staying on top of it makes things easier when someone inevitably catches the latest ick. It’s not the most fun, but it makes a difference.
5. Rest and hydration. Some of the winter advice can get a little #OKboomer – does anyone actually still believe you’ll catch a cold if you go outside with wet hair? But there’s no doubt that we all get sick more often when we’re run down. Making sure we all drink plenty of H2O and get lots of R+R is good for our immune systems. And our spirits.
Stay healthy, my friends!